Tricks and tips for everyone


Who wrote St Kevin and the Blackbird?

Who wrote St Kevin and the Blackbird?

Seamus Heaney
Kevin and the Blackbird’ – read by Seamus Heaney. “A little meditation.” That’s how Nobel Prize winning poet Seamus Heaney described his poem, St. Kevin and the Blackbird.

What miracles did St Kevin perform?

On a certain day one of them asked for an apple. The monastery had no more apple trees than it had cows, but St. Kevin blessed a clump of willow trees and the willows began to bear apples. Four centuries later these miraculous trees were still producing “St.

When was St Kevin and the Blackbird written?

St Kevin and the Blackbird (1996)

Where did St Kevin come from?

Known in Ireland as Coemgen as well as Kevin, according to tradition he was born at the Fort of the White Fountain in Leinster, Ireland, of royal descent. He was baptized by St.

What is the story of St Kevin?

The earliest life (10th/11th century?) states that Kevin was born into the royal line of the ancient Irish kingdom of Leinster and chose as a young man to become a hermit in Glendalough, where he later founded the monastery. With Kevin as abbot, it became one of Ireland’s leading monastic centres.

Who is buried in Glendalough?

At Glendalough we have one of the most important groups of early Christian remains to be found in Ireland. The patron saint and founder is St. Kevin, who was buried here in 617. The “ Valley of the Two Lakes ” is closed in on three sides by mountain ranges.

Where does the name Kevin come from?

Kevin (/ˈkɛvɪn/) is the anglicized form of the Irish masculine given name Caoimhín (Modern Irish: [ˈkiːvʲiːnʲ]; Middle Irish: Caoimhghín [ˈkəiṽʲʝiːnʲ]; Old Irish: Cóemgein [ˈkoiṽʲɣʲinʲ]; Latinized as Coemgenus). It is composed of caomh “dear; noble”; Old Irish cóem and -gin (“birth”; Old Irish gein).

Who destroyed Glendalough?

English forces
Despite attacks by Vikings over the years, Glendalough thrived as one of Irelands great ecclesiastical foundations and schools of learning until the Normans destroyed the monastery in 1214 and the dioceses of Glendalough and Dublin were united. The settlement was destroyed by English forces in 1398.

Related Posts