Tricks and tips for everyone


Can you get in trouble for a sham marriage?

Can you get in trouble for a sham marriage?

INA § 275(c) specifies potential criminal penalties for sham marriages: An individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or fined not more than $250,000, or both.

What constitutes a sham marriage?

A sham marriage is one that is entered into in order to get around (“evade”) U.S. immigration laws. (See I.N.A. Section 204(c).) For a marriage to be valid under the law, it is not enough that the couple had a real marriage ceremony and got all the right governmental stamps on their marriage certificate.

What do I do if I am a victim of marriage fraud?

Marriage fraud is a serious federal crime and there are severe penalties for engaging in this type of activity. If you believe that you were a victim of marriage fraud, it is important to take actions to notify the government that you were not a willing participant.

What is the jail time for marriage fraud?

The text of the law is very clear. Any person, whether a citizen or a non-citizen, who intentionally commits marriage fraud for immigration purposes faces up to five years in prison as well as a $250,000 fine.

Is it illegal to marry someone for papers?

That said, the practice of obtaining residency through marriage is illegal in the United States if the marriage itself is fraudulent. A marriage that is solely for purposes of obtaining legal residence is considered a sham, and is a crime in the United States for both participants.

What is a sham marriage and is it considered a criminal offense?

Federal law provides that marriages entered into for the purpose of evading immigration laws are considered “sham marriages” and may result in the denial of an immigrant visa for the foreign spouse, their removal from the United States, and possibly criminal penalties for the U.S. citizen.

How do I report a fake marriage to immigration?

You can call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 to report the fraudulent conduct….Contact the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement division.

  1. Call the hotline at 1-866-347-2423 to report suspected marriage fraud.
  2. Find your local ICE office to report fraud in person.
  3. ICE works independently of USCIS.

Related Posts