Regular book still available here
E-book Regular book.
Welcome to Kyoto2.org
Kyoto2 is a framework for a new climate agreement under the Climate Convention (UN Framework Convention on Climate Change or UNFCCC), intended to replace the Kyoto Protocol beyond 2012.
It aims to be:
- effective - to deliver the Objective of the Climate Convention: to "to achieve ... stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system ... within a time frame sufficient to allow ecosystems to adapt naturally to climate change, to ensure that food production is not threatened and to enable economic development to proceed in a sustainable manner."
- efficient - using auction, open markets, targetted expenditures and appropriate regulation, while minimising accounting and compliance overheads, to provide 'the gain without the pain'.
- equitable - addressing the needs of poor people and poor countries, and mitigating the impacts of climate change for the benefit of both present and future generations.
The Kyoto package of measures is now available in its definitive form in the book Kyoto2 - how to manage the global greenhouse (Zed Books, July 2008). The Kyoto2 summary, as published, is available on this website.
Also see the In the media section of this website for links to articles about Kyoto2, book reviews, etc.
The original Kyoto2 paper, available in 3 parts, is also available on this website, but has been superceded in various respects and should not be considered definitive.
- Kyoto2 summary (as published in Kyoto2 the book)
- Existing approaches to regulating greenhouse gases (version of 31 January 2007)
- The Kyoto2 proposals (version of 31 January 2007)
Two Yahoo groups have been set up for Kyoto2. The Newsletter group is for infrequent one-way announcements and information, and the Discussion group is intended to facilitate exchange of ideas and information, and to allow members to raise questions and criticisms.